We spoke with Totum’s Manager for Finance and Accounting recruitment, Dee Deol, to hear his advice on what candidates should be considering when looking to work with a recruitment agency. Dee spoke of how you shouldn’t always go with the first agency that contacts you and what you should look out for.
During recent recruitment processes, I have engaged in multiple conversations with candidates who, despite expressing a desire to be represented by Totum for a specific vacancy, have opted to allow another agency to send their CV. This decision often stems from a mistaken belief that they are obligated to work with the first recruiter who contacts them. However, I want to clarify that this is not the case. It is crucial for candidates to carefully evaluate and consider their options before deciding to partner with a recruiter.
Here are a few reasons why you should make informed choices when selecting a recruiter to represent you:
- Fit and Expertise: Assess whether the recruiter’s expertise aligns with your industry, job function, and career goals. Working with a recruiter who understands your specific needs will enable them to effectively represent your interests and find the right opportunities for you.
- Reputation and Track Record: Do your research on the reputation and track record of the recruiter or recruiting agency. Seek out reviews, testimonials, and success stories from other candidates who have worked with them. A recruiter with a proven track record of successfully placing candidates in desirable positions can significantly enhance your job search experience.
- Communication and Rapport: Consider the quality of communication and rapport established with the recruiter. It’s important to work with someone who listens attentively, communicates effectively, and understands your unique circumstances and preferences. A good working relationship with your recruiter can make a substantial difference in your job search journey.
- Trust and Transparency: Choose a recruiter who demonstrates trustworthiness and transparency. They should provide clear and honest information about the roles, companies, and hiring processes they are involved in. Be cautious of recruiters who make unrealistic promises or exhibit unethical practices.
- Research, Evaluate, and Decide: Remember, partnering with a recruiter is a significant decision that can impact your job search. Take the time to research, ask questions, and evaluate the options available to you. By doing so, you can find a recruiter who understands your goals, possesses the right expertise, and can provide valuable support throughout your job search journey.
Your career success is our priority at Totum, and we believe that making informed choices when selecting a recruiter is essential. Reach out to us to discuss how we can align our expertise with your goals, ensuring a fruitful collaboration in your job search endeavours.
If you have any further questions about this discussion, please contact [email protected]