One of three departments within Group Finance, Financial Planning and Decision Support is made up of two teams: Commercial Finance and Finance Business Partners. This role sits within the Finance Business Partner team which supports the firm’s leadership across 8 practice groups by providing accurate, timely, insightful and relevant financial planning and analysis advice. The aim is to be an effective and efficient business partnering service, working in conjunction with other colleagues across the professional support family to deliver a seamless service.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious individual who wishes to be part of a progressive, customer-centric team which works closely with the business to provide budget assurance, performance improvement and proactive financial support in managing their practice groups.
Reporting to the Head of Financial Planning and Decision Support, key components of the role are as follows: -
Financial Planning (20%)
- Annual planning and budgeting
- Quarterly reforecasting
Business Partnering (45%)
- Serving as the financial link between the global practice groups and the finance department.
- Proactively working with PGM’s and their leadership teams and partners to provide financial expertise and support, e.g. attendance/presentations at partner and leadership meetings
- Providing financial mentoring and training to newly promoted partners / laterals / promotion candidates / new firm joiners.
- Providing necessary financial support to ensure strategic business development, client retention and increased client profitability within the practice groups (BD).
- In conjunction with the working capital team, keep abreast of any issues within the practice group and assist in resolution / meetings. Being able to articulate any budget risks of any significant working capital issues.
Financial Analysis (30%)
- Enabling the practice group to achieve its objectives, make decisions and plan appropriately through the effective understanding and use of financial analysis.
- Preparation of monthly finance MI which contains insightful commentary and analysis. Monitoring performance against long-term strategic and short-term operational plans and assisting the partners formulate the necessary actions to be taken to achieve agreed financial targets.
- Preparing detailed half-yearly financial review documents for firm and practice group leadership
- Effective presentation to practice group leadership teams. Conducting thorough annual financial reviews.
- Supporting the practice groups in building business cases for required initiatives, such as lateral hires, practice area and geographic expansion.
- In conjunction with Finance Business Partner colleagues, supporting the Head of Financial Planning and Decision Support in the overall financial management of the practice areas.
- Advanced ad-hoc analysis as required to help maximise profitability across the group around realisation, fee earner utilisation and working capital.
Commercial Finance Support (5%)
- Support the Commercial Finance team in executing the firms pricing strategy through respective Practice Group stakeholders.
- At times of peak demand, assisting the Commercial Finance team by working with Practice Group aligned Business Development Managers on client bids and proposals where finance-enabled capability can add value.
- Supporting the Commercial Finance team in key client reviews for client relationship partners who fall under respective practice group responsibilities.
- ACCA/ ACA/CIMA qualified with a minimum of 5 years PQE
- Extensive Finance Business Partnering experience with senior stakeholders within a professional services business, ideally within the legal sector
- Advanced MS Office suite user (particularly Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication. Emotionally resilient, and has strength of personality to ensure the perspective of ‘Finance’ is clearly communicated. The ability to remain calm and focussed under pressure.
- Excellent soft skills including the ability to influence or challenge senior stakeholders when necessary
- A continuous improvement mentality to support development of self, colleagues and business processes and interactions
- Attention to detail as well as an ability to see the bigger picture which considers any cross-business implications
- A collaborative team-player who is transparent and has a straight forward approach
- Working proficiency of SAP (BI and BPC), Elite and Qlikview.
Follow us on Twitter for information on new jobs and market trends.